What is Male Nipple Reduction?
Male nipple reduction is a surgical procedure that provides an immediate and lasting solution to excessive nipple size and/or protrusion which is a minor aberration produced during a short genetic window in utero. Men with such enlarged nipples are uncomfortable wearing light or close-fit shirts or T-shirts as it would expose their condition. This condition also causes them psychological problems such as lack of confidence, self-esteem, etc.
Nipples in males develop the same way as it develops in females; however, it serves no functional purpose as men are unable to breastfeed infants. The nipple in men only serves as an aesthetic decoration as every human possesses it, and men without nipples would look peculiar. Though nipples have no function in men they can cause irritation and both their shape and projection are important from an aesthetic appearance point of view. Nipple hypertrophy is a medical condition in which the nipple appears enlarged and disproportionate. Protruding nipples can be a source of embarrassment both in and out of shirts and can also end up causing irritation and soreness due to abrasion against clothing.
What are the different types of Male Nipple Reduction surgery?
There are various types of nipple imperfections. To make corrections for these conditions we use different surgical procedures such as:
- Male puffy nipple reduction surgery
- Male inverted nipple surgery
- Flat nipple surgery. Each of these procedures is safe, simple, and effective.
How is Male Nipple Reduction performed?
Male nipple reduction surgery is performed using local anesthesia and the duration of this procedure may last up to 30-45 minutes. The surgery involves excising away the enlarged parts of the nipple such as excess height and diameter of the nipple to make it a more symmetrical, aesthetically appealing shape. The incisions are closed with dissolvable stitches and coated with antibiotic ointment and bandages to prevent infection and wound dehiscence.
- The patient would have to keep the nipples clean and dry for forty-eight hours and the sutures would generally be removed after a period of ten days after the operation. The procedure may cause minor scarring but it would still be inconspicuous. After the procedure lifting weights or any form of strenuous exercise should be avoided.
What are the possible risks of undergoing Male Nipple Reduction?
Although this procedure is safe, secure, and efficient there are minor chances of a risk occurring like in all surgeries. These risks include:
- Loss of sensation: During nipple reduction surgery, the surgeon may leave the center of your nipple in place to reduce the risk of causing a loss in sensation. The patient may experience temporary loss in sensation during the recovery phase but rarely has this condition persisted permanently.
- Scarring: Minor scarring is unavoidable for this procedure but these mostly go unnoticed unless one focuses their attention on it. Scars can be darker or lighter than the skin around the surgical site.
- Infection: The risk of infection can be avoided by keeping the surgical site clean and taking necessary medication.
What to do when recovering after Male Nipple Reduction Surgery?
Male nipple reduction surgery does not put much strain on the body. It is one of the relatively simple surgical procedures that patients could recover from in less than 3 weeks.
As nipples have a great number of concentrated nerve endings the patients undergoing this procedure may feel discomfort and pain post-operation. Doctors would prescribe pain relief medication such as paracetamol or ibuprofen to reduce pain during the recovery period.
Although patients can conduct their daily activities immediately after the surgery it is absolutely essential to avoid strenuous activities post-surgery as the healing time for nipple procedures is relatively short and engaging in such activity could reopen the surgical wound. It is best to avoid lifting heavy objects for at least 2 weeks after the surgery.